Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mic Check 1 2 1 2: Karaoke NYC

Karaoke is something that has always been on my to do list, but I've only done it twice, maybe three times. For some reason, I can't seem to get a group together to actually do it. However, there are some people who take karaoke very seriously. It wasn't until recently that I discovered just how many karaoke places are in New York City. My most recent discoveries have certainly bumped karaoke up on my to do list.

Radio Star (3 West 35 St.)
From my first impression, I was a fan. The flashing strobe lights that run throughout the bar certainly set the tone for a fun atmosphere. The staff is friendly, which always a plus. Not only is karaoke available in the bar area, but they also have private karaoke rooms for groups as small as 6 people to as many as 40 people. Each room offers control of the special effect lights to set the desired mood. Each room also has a phone that allows guests to call the bar and order drinks and food.

Pulse Karaoke (135 West 41 St.)
I have not yet been to this one, but the website piqued my interest. Right in the heart of Times Square, Pulse seems to be a karaoke hot spot. With private suites and packages that include unlimited drinks as well as food platters, this looks like a great place to have a get-together. It is definitely on my to do list.

Japas 55 (253 West 55 St.)
I've heard good things about this place, but I have to admit that I wasn't immediately excited from my first impression. I suppose some happy hour drinks, a group of friends, and singing a few songs would make it more appealing. I'm still willing to give it a fair shot.

Karaoke Duet 35 (53 West 35 St.)
I wasnt as much of a fan of this place, simply because they only offer private rooms. Although there is a small bar area, the fun doesn't really happen until you and your group enter the private room.

Karaoke Top Tunes (303 East 53 St.)
I wanted to like this place. It offers the same as most places: karaoke in the bar area, private rooms, happy hour specials, drink/food packages and all that good stuff. However, my experience there wasn't a great one. Granted, I went with an interesting request: to reserve one of the private rooms to watch The Game Season Premiere, and that is not exactly what they do with their private rooms. However, when I made the extra effort to visit days in advance to ensure that it could be done, and was promised that it could be, only to come on the day of to find several obstacles, I was highly disappointed and annoyed. Not only were the promises not delivered but the disregard from the manager was what was most infuriating. This may not be everyone's experience because they are obviously still in business, but Karaoke Top Tunes is NOT on my to do list.

Sing Sing (81 Avenue A)
Whenever I think of karaoke in NYC, this is the first place I think of, simply because I've heard about it so many times. However, I've still never been, but it is on my todo list.

So who's down for a night of karaoke?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!