Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Seattle: Memorable Firsts

Although this is not my first time trying sushi, I can now say that I love it. This time took my sushi experience to a whole nother level.

Blue C Sushi is a conveyor belt sushi restaurant. Because I'm so easily amused, I was overjoyed by this entire experience. Sitting in a booth alongside the conveyor belt flaunting the seemingly endless variety of options in front of our face, we grabbed a few including: a Spicy Tuna roll (tuna, spicy sauce, cucumber), a California (crab salad, cucumber, avocado, masago), a Spider (fried soft shell crab, cucumber, avocado, mayo, masago), a Spinach roll (which was a ball of spinach that I was not a fan of), and cupcakes from Cupcake Royale to top it all off.

I love that each plate only comes with a few sushi pieces. I get a bit overwhelmed by entire sushi rolls, but this way it's easy to try a wider variety of rolls. I also loved that they incorporated some of Seattle's favorite desserts from Cupcake Royale and Mighty O Donuts, bringing an unexpected bonus to an already great experience.

I can't say that bubble tea is my new favorite thing, but I'm happy that I tried it. The flavor of the actual drink was tasty, and the tapioca balls were interesting for the first few sips, but it wasn't too long before I had enough of them. I hear that Ambrosia Cafe is among when it comes to best bubble tea, so I'm glad that I experienced it there.

I'm happy to have finally tried dim sum at Jade Garden. Similarly to Blue C, the serving style of lots of little dishes makes for a more fun and varied experience. We tried a number of things including pork buns, sticky rice and even tripe (which I have to admit wasn't as awful as I would've thought).

I'm making it a habit to try a local beer whenever I visit a new place. In Seattle, it was Ridgetop Silverycity Red Ale. Being the non beer drinker that I am, I think it tasted like most other beer that I've tried. I neither loved nor hated it.

It may be surprising that I did something other than eating during my trip. Believe it or not, I had my first experience on a trampoline at Sky High Sports. (It's possible that I've been on a trampoline at some during my childhood, but I honestly don't remember. It's been on my to do list in my adult life for quite some time now.) I have to admit that I felt a bit ridiculous as one of the few adults (maybe the only adult with no children) there as groups of children ran by me. I was even a little bit intimidated at first when I saw what looked like a field of trampolines.

Watching the children, some who looked like they'd barely mastered walking, bound across the field of trampolines and bounce off the walls, it was only a matter of time before I was infected by their contagious energy. I was also inspired by the freedom I saw in a few women who were doing bouncing exercise. With all of that combined with the intensity I witnessed in the dodge-ball game in an enclosed pit, I was ready to go. I immediately realized that it was not as easy as the others made it look. Although I eventually got the hang of it, I was surprised by how much physical effort it took. I enjoyed the release and the freedom that came with each bounce. I enjoyed t so much that I'd love to develop my trampoline skills.

Not only does Sky High Sports offer a fun atmosphere, but with their dodge-ball pit and AIRobics classes, they also create a unique trampoline experience. It became clear within minutes of my experience that this is fun for all ages. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

I found a YouTube video that shows just how cool this place is:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!