Thursday, October 8, 2009

Real Housewives race to "Heel the Soul"


Just in time for Domestic Violence Awareness Month, real housewife Nene hosted Heel the Soul event. For those of you who follow the show, you know that both Nene Leakes and Lisa Wu-Hartwell are survivors of domestic abuse. I am so happy to see that they are active advocates for women in similar situations. In this week's episode, Lisa and Nene had a touching conversation about their experiences and how it affected their self esteem. I certainly encourage you to catch the episode.

Also, Marshalls' Shop 'Til it Stops initiative is a great incentive go shopping while supporting a great cause:
"For every pair of shoes you buy in our stores from October 1st through October 15th, we’ll donate $1* to the National Domestic Violence Hotline, which provides crisis intervention and referral to survivors, their family and friends."

2 comments:

  1. how can get involved in heel the soul? I have been a victom basically since i was born. I grew up watching my dad abuse my mom emotionally , physically, mentally and it wasnt till i was 21 till i trusted myself to be in a relatioship with someone- well, i ended up in the same situation with out even realizing it.. and before i knew it, 4 years later i finally realized i was again a victom. People called me dumb and couldnt understand why I stayed in the situation I was in, but i guess it was my way of thinking that I could fix things.. and that --"he was gonna change" well nothing changed and if anything things just got worse. I saw the episode of heel the soul tonight and i though- this issue needs to be recognized more then it is cause sooo many girls and woman end up in these situations and they dont even know they are in them.. till they look in the mirror. My email address is -AngCHavey@gmail.com -- and i would be happy to get involved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Angelyn. It hurts my heart to hear that you went through that experience, but I am happy to hear that you are now in the state of mind to protect yourself and help others as well.

    I am not affiliated with Heel the Soul, but I would love to talk to you more about how you can be helpful in spreading awareness about domestic abuse and violence.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!