Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dear Sir/Madam:

Anyone who works in customer service knows that it's not ideal to share your candid thoughts with customers. Regardless of the situation, one in such a position must maintain not only a professional but also a (seemingly) pleasant disposition. However, stifling one's true sentiments can lead to loads of pent up frustration which can in turn lead to anger and a possible snap. Reading books like Waiter Rant can give you further insight into the highly stressful life of one job within this category: the waiter(waitress).

As one who understands the importance of a release (thanks to my Psych degree) I've decided to write my own "Dear Sir/Madam" letter to save my own sanity through an outlet.

Be forewarned that my language may be harsh because people have a way of pushing one to new levels of frustration, and I will not apologize for my commentary because I am forced to censor myself all too often. So this is my uninhibited sharing space.

Dear Sir Writes A Lot,
I received your letter about your unsatisfactory experience, and I would like to extend my apologies. I am sorry that I wasted my time asking you if everything was okay to only have you say yes despite your dissatisfaction. Perhaps you were afraid that I would somehow retaliate or sabotage any recooks that you may have requested. Please be assured that is not my style. I simply aim to please, and if I had been notified of the problem during your visit I would have gone above and beyond to make sure to rectify it to ensure a satisfactory dining experience. However, you chose to lie to me and then go behind my back and send a letter to the company, and now I'm upset. I just don't understand why you told me everything was okay the few times I checked on you if it was not. For future reference if I ask you if everything is okay, I'm not just hitting the points on my server checklist, I really want to make sure that everything is okay. So if you have something to say, say it to my face.
Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!