Monday, November 23, 2009

'Tis the Season to be Thankful

Even though we have something to be thankful for every day of the year, something about this time of the year makes us just that more appreciative of the blessings in our lives. With the end of the year and the new year approaching, I got to thinking and reflecting, and I realized the shift that my life has taken.


This time last year, I was unemployed. That combined with the financial reality of entrepreneurship sinking in and the approaching holiday season, it was certainly a trying period in my life.


Two years ago, I was fighting to get home from school on my last dime on Thanksgiving Day.


Three years ago, I was mourning the loss of my grandmother and wishing she was here to celebrate the holidays with us.


Five years ago, I was in an unhealthy relationship, and combined with a challenging school semester, the journey home felt like a long one.


Seven years ago, I lost my grandfather, which certainly caused a shift if my family dynamic.


I share all of these not to whine about my life, but I am happy to share them because this holiday season, how many ever years later, I stand stronger. I made it through those seasons, and I’m thankful for that. I’m also thankful because I know I’ll make it through whatever season I may be growing through now.



One of the absolute best ways to show true appreciation for your blessings is to be a blessing to someone else. ‘Tis also the season for giving!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You have had an interesting journey over the past 7 years. Hopefully next when you create your list, you will think of the positive blessings that have bestowed upon you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! Later on this week, I'll dedicate a post to some of the many blessings I have been so thankful to receive.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!