Wednesday, June 29, 2011

YOU Run the World

Today I'm reminded of my favorite Marianne Williamson quote, specifically the line: "Your playing small does not serve the world." (It was referenced in 86400: Manage Your Purpose to Make Every Second of Each Day Count in the faithfulness chapter, which talked about having faith in one's self.)

I have big dreams of what I want to do in my lifetime because I wholeheartedly believe that that is my purpose. In sharing those big dreams with one of my closest friends one day, she said "Dani, I appreciate the big dreams you have, but I want to be a regular person." Even though I completely understood that she meant that she doesn't envy the limelight that some people live in, I think that others say similar statements and feel as if a person who is not an entrepreneur or not famous is less than someone who chooses either of those lifestyle. And I believe quite the contrary.

The Big Leap
talks about one's Zone of Genius, the zone of being in which you are doing exactly what it is you are meant to do. My friend is in one of the country's top graduate school programs in her field and is a student athlete tutor. From her stories I've gathered that she has the ability to have 200 pound athletes open up and candidly share their life's stories in ways that they don't with other people. She has gotten feedback that she has what one might call it "teacher's talent."

I often joke with her and compare her to characters from movies like Lean On Me and The Blind Side. Those are examples of "regular" people living in their zone of genius and doing powerful things. And I truly believe that she is on that list.

We can all think of examples of that teacher or coach that changed our lives, or that bus driver that made our commute special, or that flight attendant that inspired our love for travel. These are regular people loving what they do and leaving extraordinary marks on our lives. They are no less significant than someone who chooses to start a business or live a life in front of the world's eyes.

The Marianne Williamson quote continues "As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same." I know I am inspired by people loving what they do, and it is my hope that I inspire others by doing what I love as well. I encourage and challenge you to do whatever it is you love to do with all your heart. And: Dream bigger!

This is just too appropriate to not include:




Photo credit: http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/62952/62952,1185307586,1/stock-vector-man-holding-a-globe-overhead-4092034.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! I definitely agree that people can make a difference, no matter what post/position they hold. Sometimes, you have no idea the lives you touch, even with just your writing. The influence that extends beyond the keyboard is amazing, and I never want to let go of that power, even as I'm pursuing another career path.
    Thanks for reminding me that I can make a difference just where I'm at.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!