Thursday, December 2, 2010

#Reverb10: Writing

December 2 – Writing. What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it? (Author: Leo Babauta)

Watch TV. I know that I can waste several hours watching TV. And it's not that I'm even enjoying it all of the time, it's just there, and it's something to do.

HOWEVER, I am creating a new habit: It starts by setting the timer at night as soon as I feel sleepy so that the TV turns itself off soon after I fall asleep. Instead of waking up to the TV and just staying in bed for hours, I now read, journal, and meditate for a little bit, and that is the perfect state of mind to get writing done. I've noticed that when I check my e-mails before writing, it puts me in a different state of mind that stifles my creative juices. So I've learned to alter that and focus on my writing first. Starting my day off expressing some creativity feels really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!