Friday, October 15, 2010

Blog Action Day: Water

When I first registered for Blog Action Day 2010, I had no idea what to write about. I knew that I wanted to be a part of this great effort, but I didn't know what I could say about the issue of clean water. I could not think of a way that I am personally connected to this issue. It wasn't until watching the first of the Chilean miners rescue that I remembered that feeling of worldwide unity that I felt during September 11th, the Haitian earthquake and other tragedies. During these times of extreme tragedy we come together for an immediate response, and we remember how we are in some way connected.

It was then that I realized that I am in some way connected to this issue of clean water and I just have to figure out how. After reading some of the startling statistics about the effects of the lack of clean water, I became overwhelmed with gratitude that I live in a place where clean water is accessible. I couldn't even imagine a life without clean water. I immediately thought of all the things I use water for. That was it. That is how I (and everyone who is fortunate enough to have access to clean water) am connected to this issue.

I learned about the idea of "water footprint," which pretty much refers to our water consumption. Waterfootprint.org gives a more thorough explanation of what the water footprint and how it varies in different regions. From what I gathered, we (especially in the United States) consume too much water and it would be helpful if we reduce our water footprint. I was most excited about the page that gave specific ways to reduce your individual water footprint, including:
  • using water-saving appliances, like toilet and showerhead
  • turning water off while brushing teeth
I also thought about how I could conserve water when washing dishes by turning down the water pressure or soaping all of the dishes while the water is off and then rinsing them all at the same time.

There are certainly ways to conserve water when it comes to laundry as well. It could help to only wash clothes when there is a substantial load as opposed to washing just a few things.

Limiting shower time is another great way to use less water.
Waterfootprint.org also shares ways to reduce water footprint through the types of food that we eat, things we buy in the supermarket, etc. It's so interesting how everything we do has an impact on our environment, and with a few conscious decisions we could make some changes.

How are you connected to this issue of clean water? What can you do to help?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!